Sunday, November 23, 2008

Top Ten: Sad Songs

I haven't done a top ten list in a long time, which is surprising to me because I love to make lists. Being that I'm in a pensive, waiting-for-the-world-to-end kind of mood, I thought this would be a good time to share the ten saddest songs in my iTunes play lists...just to help brighten your day. The lyrics of these songs aren't necessarily sad, though some are, but these songs all make my heart ache for one reason or another.

10) On the Evening Train - Johnny Cash: The death of a loved one
9) Our Town - Iris DeMent: The death of a town and a person's history
8) She's Too Good For Me - Warren Zevon: Letting go of something/someone you don't want to let go of
7) He Went to Paris - Jimmy Buffett: Guess I never paid attention to the story behind this song, but it makes me sad anyway
6) If You Could Read My Mind - Johnny Cash, covering Gordon Lightfoot: This one is more the lonesome, dying voice than the song
5) Blue Eyes Crying In the Rain - Willie Nelson: When he's on, Willie Nelson could make "Happy Birthday" sound like a lamentation
4) The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - The Band: I guess this is about the death of an ideal
3) Some Day Never Comes - Credence Clearwater Revival: Always makes me feel hopeless
2) Days That Used to Be - Neil Young: Nostalgia, and that's all, for the greener fields of yesterday
1) Last Thing I Needed First Thing This Morning - Willie Nelson: A crushing song, especially when you listen when you're on your own; "Excuse me for looking like I just lost my best friend"

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger keltic said...

Sheesh.
But here are my additions:
"Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad" by U2
"Song for a Blue Guitar" by Red House Painters
"Here Comes the Flood" by Peter Gabriel

24 November, 2008 15:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home