Sunday, November 09, 2008

Walking Soundtrack # 4

I think my iPod was trying to sabotage my efforts at a healthy lifestyle this time - you'll see why below. I had set a rule for myself that I wouldn't forward over any song so that I would, over time, really listen to my entire library of songs. However, after this walk, that rule might be revised.

1) Polly Gone Home - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss: Overall, not a bad song, but horrible for the purposes of exercise. Slow, slow, slow...

2) Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain - Willie Nelson: Wille's first #1 song, and, maybe, the best he ever sang (he didn't write this one). It is a pensive song, but it's so good it's works for walking.

3) Molly Ban - The Chieftains with Alison Krauss: Typically sad, and long, Irish song - it's great, but it makes you want to bury your head and cry rather than be physically fit.

4) Carrickfergus - The Chieftains with Alison Moorer: Another typically sad, and very long, Irish lament, chock full of phrasing like "marble cliffs" and "salt sea" and references to Kilkenny. By this point in my walk, the only thing stopping from sagging to the sidewalk in tears is the thought of what my neighbors would think.

5) Water - The Who, live at London's Young Vic in 1970-1: Ahh, the 'orrible 'oo, my favorite band. But this isn't just their most annoying song, it might be the worst ever written by anyone. But still, it's got thundering guitars and pounding drums - enough to quicken my steps and lift me form the morass of Irish dirges.

6) The Highwayman - Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson: Ahh, now we're getting somewhere. Cheesy concept, cheesy lyrics, but still a wonderful song. I can walk a bit quicker to this.

7) Tired of Waiting - The Kinks: My theme song, or, rather, the theme song for those who have had to live or work with me over the years. Punctuality isn't my best quality. Actually, it isn't one of my qualities at all, no matter how hard I try.

8) Fade Into You - Mazzy Starr: Another slow tune, but this one's dreamily brilliant and it won't slow down my pace. This one always makes me miss Peter & Lauri, the first neighbors I ever had while living on my own, who made this song their first dance when they got married.

9) Travelin' Band - Credence Clearwater Revival: While listening this time around, I realized this song was a cheap grab at selling records rather than a serious effort at making music. It annoyed me so much, I deleted the song from my play list.

10) The Old Man Down the Road - John Fogerty: It makes me dizzy to realize it, but I remember when the video for this song came out nearly a quarter century ago. I'm not supposed to remember things from so long ago! Some day much too soon this song might be about me. But, for the time being, it's a great tune to move to, so I'll just be happy I got through this walk without those depressing Irish tunesmiths causing me to jump in front of a truck.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home