Monday, September 22, 2008

Walking Soundtrack

I like lists and I like music, so, if only to entertain myself, I thought I'd provide some highly intellectual commentary/criticism on the songs that came up on my Shuffle while I was walking the neighborhood. Some days I walk with Tiff, so I don't listen to music, but when I'm on my own I normally try to do ten songs - that's a good number to fit in for a nice walk - but sometimes the songs are so short, or long, that I don't always do ten. Anyway, here are the songs that came up on my walk the first time I thought about doing this, which was about a week ago.

1) Run-Around - Blues Traveler: Great mid-90s song that has stood the test of years.

2) Crazy - Willie Nelson: Made famous by Patsy Cline, this song, written by Willie, wouldn't be considered exercise-worthy by most people, but to me, if it's good, it'll help you get through a workout, even if it is a slower tune.

3) My Generation - The Who: The first step, arguably, on the road from rock & roll to punk and heavy metal, and a song that gets your heart moving.

4) Graceland - Willie Nelson: Cover of, and, in my opinion, superior to, Paul Simon's famous mid-80s hit; it sounds natural coming from Willie's lips.

5) You Better, You Bet - The Who live in Chicago, actually Hoffman Estates, IL, 3/5/07. Some songs weren't meant to be played live, and this is one. However, this particular version sounds very good, the only live version of this song I like. And I was there to see it in person.

6) Cluck Old Hen - Alison Krauss & Union Station: Awesomely spirited bluegrass instrumental.

7) From Me to You - The Beatles: Classic pop from a highly over-rated band. Did I say that out loud??

8) Roll Me Away - Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band: Bob Seger is the musical version of Cal Ripken - he's been around forever and you never really noticed he was there. Then, one day, you suddenly wake up to the fact that he's built himself a solid career with a boatload of wonderful and noteworthy accomplishments.

9) For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield: Great 60s protest song, not like the hateful junk we hear today. This is the type of song, and attitude, we could use more of in today's USA.

10) The Sea Refuses No River - Roger Daltrey, recorded live, with full orchestra, in 1994 during a tour paying tribute to the songs of Pete Townshend (as if he'd died). Surprisingly, the orchestral stuff really works, and this is a thoughtful, well-written, though not radio-friendly, song.

11) Greyhound Girl - The Who live at Lyon, France, 2006. The only widely available version of this song, included on a live bonus disc with some versions of the Who's 2006 album, Endless Wire. Not a great song, but as a fan, it's a nice curiosity piece.

12) Octopus's Garden - The Beatles: Whatever, dude.

13) Let's Go - The Cars: A fun summer song.

14) Ocean's Away - Roger Daltrey: This ballad is one of the few great (and I use the term generously) songs from Roger Daltrey's solo career.

15) Kody - Matchbox Twenty: Another mid-90s classic that has stood the test of time.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home