Saturday, November 15, 2008

Walking Soundtrack # 5

1) Waltzing Matilda - The Pogues: One of the best war songs ever recorded, describing the horrors of war and the usually idiotic reasons we humans kill and maim eachother.
2) Gotta Dance - The Who, live in 1964 while the band was still known as the High Numbers: A Holland-Dozier-Holland tune, originally recorded by the Miracles (later known as Smokey Robinson and the Miracles), it's a typical early Who cover of great Motown music.
3) Let the Mystery Be - Iris DeMent: I'm not sure how to take this song - satire, serious, who knows? I also can't decide if I really like it or not.
4) I'm Still a Guy - Brad Paisley: This one's from the Tiffany collection and is the usual catchy and funny song with semi-serious undertones from Brad Paisley, one of the most clever writers around today.
5) Fast As You - Dwight Yoakam: One of the best country-rock songs ever. The first time I really noticed this song was when it was cranked to 10 (or 11, if you prefer) on the sound system at a Chicago Wolves game. Perfect for getting the blood flowing, whether walking or not.
6) I Am Afraid - Pete Townshend: From Pete's last solo album, it's a decent pop song, with a methodic beat that's good for walking.
7) The Long Defeat - Sara Groves: I know I like this song, but I can't remember anything about it.
8) Sinner Man - Nina Simone: Long, haunting spiritual jazz song. It's one of my favorite songs, and might be the only jazz song I like.
9) I'm Coming Back (But I Don't Know When) - The Lonesome River Band: Great bluegrass music, which is always good to keep up a good walking pace.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger n8 said...

Haha! 11. It's one louder.

17 November, 2008 09:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home