Friday, December 12, 2008

Walking Soundtrack # 9

This one is short. From inside I could see the beautiful sun, warm and inviting, but I couldn't see the wind blowing 30 miles an hour from all four directions at once. I just couldn't complete my full walk, which proves, I think, that you can take the boy out of Chicago and take the Chicago out of the boy.

1) Into the Great Wide Open - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers: I know it's not original to this song, but the line "rebel without a clue" has always made me smile.
2) South Australia - The Pogues: Festive and raucous, this song is a good one for exercise, even in the wind. Is it punk, is it traditional Irish? I don't know - sometimes they seem like they could be the same thing.
3) Feels So Good - Chuck Mangione: One of the most appropriately named songs of all time. I remember driving down Forest Hills Rd, an old fire road in the Nicolet National Forest, with my sister Barb when she put this cassette in the radio. Even on the most blustery days, this song will always remind me of blue sky, warm, fresh air blowing through the open windows, and those beautiful Wisconsin trees.
4) Stages - ZZ Top: Just good old fashioned, but not too old, rock and roll from one of my favorite bands. They just let it rip on this song.
5) Naked Eye - The Who, live at the Isle of Wight 1970: This is, in my 'umble opinion, one of the 'oos best songs. They never quite got it right in the studio, but this is one time they nailed it on stage. It's kind of a rambling song about something or other.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home