Sunday, December 07, 2008

Walking Soundtrack # 7

1) So Sad About Us - The Who: Very early Who song, and it just might be my favorite. It's a song about a break-up featuring a restrained thunder of guitars, bass, and drums.
2) Guitar and Pen - The Who: Another of my favorite, but obscure, Who songs. I think it's about the frustrations of being a song writer.
3) Who Are You - Stereophonics: Cover of a late Who song that has probably become their representative song. It doesn't measure up to the original - the vocals strain too hard to be angry - but it's not bad.
4) Dublin In Vigo - The Chieftains: Medley of songs recorded in Havana, I believe, for the Chieftains musical study of the Celtic relations between the Irish and the Spanish. From the fantastic and beautiful album "Santiago."
5) I Am Weary, Let Me Rest - The Cox Family: From the "O Brother, Where Art Thou" soundtrack, this is a tough song to walk to, what with all the weariness and resting.
6) Would You Lay With Me (In a Field of Stone) - Johnny Cash: This one is a kind of love song about being anywhere, even the most miserable places, with your love. It's a nice sentiment, but the song is just okay and slows my pace down a bit when I'm walking.
7) Fly, Fly, Fly - Larry Norman: This is a Beatle-esque Larry Norman song. That is, it's upbeat and catchy, but not very deep or meaningful. Still, I like this song - it's one of my favorite Larry songs.
8) (Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman - The Kinks: This is a great hard-driving but wonderfully humorous song about the desire to be great, but with the self-awareness of knowing you just don't measure up. The beginning of the song about the embarassment he feels looking in the mirror after stepping out of the shower is brilliant. Later, after listing some of the ugly things going on in the world, the singer laments, "I'm so weak, I'm so thin. I'd like to fly, but I can't even swim. I wish I could be like Superman." A perfect song for all of humanity, I think. I love it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home