Sunday, December 07, 2008

Walking Soundtrack # 6

I've fallen a bit behind so, in an effort to catch up, I'll bore you all today with the music I listened to on my last few walks.

1) Cocaine Blues - Johnny Cash, live at Folsom Prison: Great song with a lively beat to keep your feet moving
2) Long Black Veil - Johnny Cash, live at Folsom Prison: Why do they call my iPod the Shuffle? Out of the 2300 songs, I get two songs that are separated by about six minutes from the same album to start my walk. But that's okay, this is another great song - I've got several versions lost somewhere in my collection. Great story, too, packed into such a short song.
3) Mirror Door - The Who: From their last album, it's kind of a tribute to the artists that influenced them the most, including Johnny Cash, Eddie Cochrane and Elvis, among others.
4) Closing Time - Semisonic: When Tiffany and I decided to move to Charlotte back in 1998, this song was all over the airwaves. We drove to Charlotte via Oklahoma City and Vicksburg, so we heard this song dozens of times as we crossed Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama, and all the way back home to Chicago. Ever since, this has been the "Charlotte Song."
5) Mr Bassman - John Entwistle: It's a bit goofy - kind of a tribute to the old be-bop music - but it's appropriate coming from the Who's bass player, called by many the best there ever was.
6) Let's See Action - Pete Townshend: From Pete's first solo album ("Who Came First"), it has a raw sound suspiciously like a high-quality demo.
7) Leave It Up To God To Handle - Larry Norman: I think this is a tradition gospel song, and I really like this bluesy-rock version from the self-proclaimed poster child for Jesus Rock.
8) Rocky Road to Dublin - Gaelin Storm: A near perfect song for exercise, it's fast and fun.
9) Tupelo Honey - Van Morrison: A slow, dreamy song, not the best for walking, but, as I mentioned before, if it's a good song it gets me moving, no matter how slow the beat.
10) Free Me - Roger Daltrey, live in Boston in 1989: It's screamers like this, performed over the course of many years, that caused Daltrey's voice to age long before it should have. Free Me is an obscure song from the movie McVicar.
11) Revolution - The Beatles: Fantastic rock and roll song; one of the best ever, in my opinion. Too bad all those old hippies sold out.
12) Lawyers, Guns, and Money - Warren Zevon: I'll have to pay closer attention to this one, because I really have never listened to what it's about. It sounds pretty good, though.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home