Friday, August 10, 2007

August Top Ten

It’s been a while since I’ve posted a top ten list. I’ve mentioned before that I enjoy compiling top ten lists so it doesn’t bother me that there might only be four of you reading this. Having moved to North Carolina, I've been thinking about what I’d miss most about Chicago. I didn’t want this to be a mushy, tear-stained list, so I’m not going to say things like family or friends. And that doesn’t leave much else other than food, now that I look at my list. Anyway, here goes:

1. Pub chips at Goose Island Brewery, two locations - 1800 N. Clybourn and on Clark just south of Wrigley Field. If you go to a Cubs game, I recommend grabbing a bag of chips at the Goose to bring to the game.

2. Goose Island’s blackened catfish poorboy. If ever I wind up on death row, this, along with the chips, would be my last meal.

3. Chicago hot dogs. Other places say they make ‘em, but they don’t.

4. Northwestern football on Saturdays in the fall.

5. Gulliver’s Pizza, Howard Avenue, Chicago. Gulliver’s has great stuffed pizza. The parking lot is actually in Evanston, so it’s a convenient stop after an NU football game. Plus, they’ve got the country’s largest collection of “turn of the century” antiques cluttering or adorning, depending on your point of view, the entire restaurant, which makes for a unique atmosphere. I assume “turn of the century” means late 1800s/early 1900s. If I had a list of Chicago adventures, Gulliver's would be included.

6. Wisconsin. For all that we like to make fun of it, the land of cheese is really a beautiful place with a lot of great things to do.
7. Downtown and the lakefront.
8. Major League Baseball. I went from two teams to none, but I can be thankful for WGN.
9. Skate Wing at Brasserie Jo or Mon Ami Gabi, two really good French restaurants that don't mind if you come in semi-casual. The accompanying crispy garlic chips give Mon Ami Gabi the edge when it comes to the skate, but I prefer Brasserie Jo for its location and atmosphere.
10. For dessert, Black Goose at Goose Island. Tiffany and I went to Goose on our honeymoon (Tuesday, May 16, 1995, to be precise) so it holds a special place in our hearts and bellies.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home