Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Quote of the Day

I'm not a big fan of Thoreau. I haven't read any of his writings except for a few quotes. I wrote down one of his thoughts on government. I'm still thinking my way through it, and wondered if anyone else had any insight.

"Why does it (government) always crucify Christ, and excommunicate Copernicus and Luther, and pronounce Washington and Franklin rebels?"

At first I though it was great, and I think I still do...maybe. For some reason I've always been suspicious of Thoreau - I think it is because one of my Maine West High School English teachers thought he was soooo awesome, and I thought she was soooo annoying. Because I don't trust the guy, maybe I'm reading too much into it. Any thoughts??

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Roger said...

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't government be against all those guys because all those guys didn't agree with the government? Although those guys were right and government was wrong (as it usually is), I can't say that I would expect many governments to be in favor of people who contradict them.

17 May, 2006 21:45  
Blogger craigt said...

That's what I'm thinking. There's just something about Thoreau that makes me uneasy when I agree with him. It would be like finding out you agree with something Hilary Clinton said, which hasn't happened yet.

18 May, 2006 09:38  
Blogger jeff said...

As good Christians we can't agree with this because it wasn't government that crucified Christ, it was you and me. Amen. Or, if you're a Calvinist, it was God who crucified Christ whether we needed it or not. Amen.

18 May, 2006 13:59  
Blogger Day at a Time said...

I remember reading Walden's Pond in high school and Dad (a man you know) sat me down and explained humanism to me and how Thoreau was huministic and I had to take that into consideration when I read it.

When our kids were in high school, we went to Walden's Pond and hiked around it. The swimmers, boaters,and water skiiers sort of took away from that whole "nature scene."

22 May, 2006 19:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home