Monday, May 15, 2006

My First Top Ten List

As a way to fill in some content on this blog, I will steal an idea from Jim's blog (Mathesonian Theorems) and post various top ten lists from time to time. Not that Jim invented top ten lists, but he's the guy who gave me the idea. I like lists, but I have a hard time making decisions sometimes, so my top ten lists may not be exactly ten. But I'll try to control myself.

I'll try to use the same category as Jim, so that we can compare notes. However, when he does something screwy like the top chess masters of all time, I'll try to do something similar. Which leads me to my current top ten list. I know enough chess masters to have a top three list, so I'll go with my ten favorite childhood sports figures.

1) Denis Savard - Michael Jordan on skates. When you mention his goal against Edmonton to a Blackhawks fan, they know exactly what you're talking about. Possibly the best individual play in hockey history.
2) Harold Baines
3) Doug Wilson
4) Chet Lemon
5) Emerson Fittipaldi - The only Indy 500 driver who waved back at me from the pits when I was at time trials in 1986. He was probably the only driver who saw me waving, but he did wave back, which was cool.
6) Lee Smith - When he was called into the game...you knew who had time for a trip to the restroom.
7) Tony Esposito
8) Walter Payton
9) Ray Meyer
10) Craig Stadler - Gotta love somebody called the Walrus.

Honorable Mention: Steve Stone - Don't remember much about him as a player, but his color commentary on WGN was simply the best. Steve Schnur, Pat Fitzgerald, and Darnell Autry - Okay, I wasn't a kid in 1995, but they put the 'Cats into the Rose Bowl, so I have to get their names on here somehow.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home